Beat the Winter Blues
Have you ever suffered from the Winter Blues? It's time to go on the OFFENSIVE!
1. Dust off your SAD lamp (light therapy box) and start using it for 10-15 minutes a day or consider investing in one. PREVENTION is the key to feeling your best this winter.
2. Who doesn't LOVE another reason to eat more DARK CHOCOLATE? It's your lucky day! The polyphenols in dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa is best—lower in sugar) help to elevate mood and relieve anxiety and depression! You can learn more about foods to "beat the blues" in Kris Carr's article on SAD http://kriscarr.com/blog/seasonal-affective-disorder-food/
3. More and more holistic health care practitioners are recommending supplementing with Vitamin D during the winter months. MOST Canadians are deficient in Vitamin D during the winter months and a Vitamin D Deficiency has been linked to depression. If you are prone to the Winter Blues, you may want to consult with your trusted holistic healthcare practitioner to see if a Vitamin D oil based supplement is right for you.
4. As cozy as that wood fire looks...this one is simple...GO OUTSIDE and EXERCISE...Yes, even if it's raining, snowing or just darn cold :) It does the body good!
5. Surrender to the season. Winter is a time for inward reflection. Instead of fighting it, work with the darkness. Pull out your journal and go within. What is up for healing in your life right now? Use this season to pause, reflect, heal and let go so that you can arrive in the spring ready to sow the seeds for what's next with fresh clarity and renewed peace of mind.